So for my Major Project, I've switched things up to try and make something a bit more fun and suited to me. I'm making Willy Wonka Hot Wheels inspired Cars. 

My main outcome is to make a car for Willy Wonka himself, along with some of the main cast. 

I struggle with initial designs, is what I've really learned in the first few weeks of this project. Because of this, I've been dipping into a lot of research to get my head around some ideas.

I've been looking a lot at the toy car scene, specifically Hot Wheels, as they have a real knack for showing characters through simple designs. I'm in the earlier stages of really playing around with things, like incorporating sweets and looking at shapes that could be incorporated into the designs. For example, Willy Wonka should have a few candy incorporated things within his design.



I had a look into Wreck it Ralph's Sugar Rush Candy Karts as well, as these are pretty stylised and have some really cool incorporation of sweets of all sorts, of which I can use to help inspire areas into mine as well. 


Looking at colour schemes and personal touches, we have to look at the original Willy Wonka himself, Gene Wilder. His outfit is a pretty perfect representation of Wonka, the classic purples and big hat. There's also some great acting, giving us a very convincing idea of Wonka- very all over the place, deceiving, a bit creepy, and all in all, a genius. 



We also have to consider the illustrations as well, which is portrayed pretty well through the original film anyway, clashing colours from Wonka, the big hat, iconic purple jacket.



There are a few props from the films I'd like to try and incorporate in areas of the design, like the iconic hat and cane. Possibly the goggles and the iconic teacup. 






Looking at ways to incorporate things into quick designs- the everlasting gobstopper is something I'd like in there, on-top of Wonka's cane as a gear stick.


A few real life investigations- messing around with ways to build things out of sweets and get a few interesting shapes involved. A bit of fun, like Wonka would have, physically trying to build something up from candy was a fun little thing to do and I recommend having a go to be honest- it's just some good fun to get the creativity going, even if it is a bit of a sticky situation. 




I also wanted to look at maybe ways to constrict my design, or stylise it, with some initial packaging ideas for marketing these as toys. There's some really creative packaging out there- and for Willy Wonka themed cars, it would be a waste not to mess around with this idea, especially for the toy side of these things. Some toys are themed really well, like Subway Surfers inside of a spray can, which is really different and gives a fun display aspect to the toy. Or even something, that I ended up actually buying, Kinetic Sand do some fun things with their packaging- industrial tyre tracks on the box it comes in and just overall being very industrial looking. 



I really like the idea of putting the car inside of a mini Wonka Factory box, this could allow for a bit more lenience in the toys design, with having a flap on top if needed instead of the side. But because of the nature of Willy Wonka, I think putting it inside a 'Wonka Car' bar, could be fun as well- including the golden ticket energy into opening it up, having a golden ticket inside, or a few golden cars in the mix. It would be a fun mystery box kind of toy.